Hong Kong is a major aviation hub within the Asia-Pacific region, and Hong Kong FIR is frequented by a large number of regional and international air traffic. The Hong Kong VACC is always pleased when members from other divisions show a keen interest in performing ATC responsibilities in our airspace. Visiting controllers may leverage their ratings to control at the respective positions within Hong Kong FIR, including the famous Hong Kong Int’l Airport (VHHH), Macau Int’l Airport (VMMC) and the historical Kai Tak Int’l Airport (VHHX), where one can revive the breathtaking IGS RWY 13 approach.
However all applicants should follow all the local procedures and pass a practical exam provided by an Instructor in Hong Kong VACC. Also visiting controllers should comply VATSIM GRP unless otherwise stated.
Any member who wants to control in the Hong Kong VACC has to apply for approval.
The following requirements apply for an approval :
- Applicant should respect and follow local procedures
- Applicant must be an S2 or higher to be able to apply to visit
- Applicant should review all related charts, documents and training manuals.
- Applicant should complete a written exam designed specifically for visiting controllers.
- Applicant should have a good english proficiency as it is the only language used for ATC communication. (Chinese language skills is not required at Hong Kong VACC)
- Applicant should follow VATSIM GRP unless otherwise stated.
- Applicant shall be willing to comply with the required online hours requirement in exchange for receiving training at Hong Kong VACC. (IMPORTANT)
How to become a Visiting Controller?
***IMPORTANT NOTICE: DUE TO MULTIPLE CONTROLLERS WHO BECAME INACTIVE SOON AFTER THEIR TRAINING AND SOME DROPPING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR TRAINING, NEW VISITING CONTROLLER APPLICANTS MUST CONFIRM THAT THEY ARE WILLING TO COMMIT TO AT LEAST 6 MONTHS OF ACTIVE ATC SERVICE DEFINED BY THE HONG KONG VACC FACILITY GENERAL POLICY (HKVACC-P001). THIS IS TO AVOID WASTING TRAINING RESOURCES WHICH OTHERWISE COULD BE USED TO TRAIN OTHER CONTROLLERS***
- Visiting Controller should contact us by either of the following methods:
- Creating a support ticket on HQ System (existing members within VATSEA or VATAME)
- Email email@example.com (Members who have no access to the HQ System)
- The following details must be mentioned in the ticket/email:
- VATSIM ID
- Your email address
- Country (for identifying time-zone for training)
- Name of the visiting controller
- Original Division
- Present ATC Rating
- A brief reason for controlling in Hong Kong airspace
- Stating that applicant is willing to comply with visiting controller online hours requirements and other rules as listed in HKVACC Facility General Policy (“ Upon the completion of my visiting controller training, I agree to comply with the visiting controller online hours requirement and rules and maintain an active presence for the next 6 months defined Facility General Policy“)
- EFFECTIVE 25 October 2016: Once the application is submitted, please request a brief recommendation letter from your VACC/ARTCC/Division director or your Training Manager stating you are in good standing within your home facility. The letter is to be directly sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The HK VACC staff will strive to respond to all requests within 48 hours.
We are always looking for motivated and enthusiastic ATC who respect local procedure to provide professional control services to our pilots.